The world is full of complicated solutions to some of life’s most basic issues. Don’t believe me? Just walk into a bookstore and notice the volumes of self-help books. These books supposedly give us dissertation-length ideas on how to have the best marriage, raise the best kids, and live the happiest life possible. The world has all of the answers (or so you would think), but the more you read these books the more convoluted life becomes.
On the other hand, the Bible is very straightforward when it comes to how we are to live. Take for example Paul’s letter to the Ephesians:
Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her. -Ephesians 5:25
Clear enough for you? We are to show the same love towards our wives as Christ does towards His church, which, by the way, is made up of us. When we see a command like this, our first action should be to look at how, practically speaking, Jesus loves the church. The ways are numerous, but one of the most practical is that He prays for her.
- Jesus prayed before He was delivered up to the cross for unity in the church, but during that prayer he said “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word.” (John 17:20)
- Paul describes Jesus in his letter to the Romans as the One “who indeed is interceding for us.” (Romans 8:34)
- The writer of Hebrews says that Jesus “always lives to make intercession for” His people. (Hebrews 7:25)
We are called as men of God to pray prayers of intercession for our wives, just as Christ prays for us. Here are three tips to help you in beginning the habit of praying for your wife.
- Pray for your wife. Just begin praying. It doesn’t have to be planned out and you do not have to have a specific list of things to pray for. Just begin to pray for her.
- Know what her needs are. Spend time entering her world. You will not know how to pray for her if you don’t take the time to know in detail her hurts, struggles and needs. Set aside time each week to purposefully ask your wife how she is doing.
- Be accountable. Tell some other men about your commitment to pray for your wife daily, and make sure they check-in with you to make sure you’re actually doing it.
The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. -James 5:16
Your prayers have power, men. Use it.